I agree in part.

For me, the Campfire has led me to cancel my subscriptions to marginal mags that I only subscribed to in order to help satiate my desire for content. Before the Internet, even the lowliest gunrag was better than nothing as the end of the month rolled around.

Now I can get gun content much more readily - new stuff, every day, and interactive to boot. The marginal stuff need not be renewed. I also found that some mags which I found interesting before are no longer so. Their content is not up to snuff when compared to what I get here.

On the other hand, the good mags are still a joy to receive. Among the things we don't see enough of elsewhere are high-quality, professional pictures of big-game animals in the wild. Those cover shots of huge elk with stuff hanging all over their antlers, dry-mud caked sides, and curled upper lips still drive the blood through my veins. The same for thick-antlered mule deer with swollen necks silhouetted against the skyline, or bedded down in the sage. Goosebumps.

I also find myself enjoying hunting stories more and more. I always enjoy good technical/how-to/reloading-type articles, but we get a lot of that type of content on this site, so a good me-and-Joe story is a nice change of gears.

I'd like to think places like the Campfire fill a unique niche, and raise the collective bar at the same time.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine