In recent years, I had pretty much stopped buying and reading gun mags as most of them re-cycled the same old b.s. and most of the writers struck me as urban journalists with very little REAL bush experience. I stuck with Rifle and Handloader although they have been difficult to obtain here; because some of the writers published in these journals impressed me. I very carefully read and re-read every article written by Ross Seyfried, he is opinionated and somewhat self-important, but, he knows a lot about guns and shooting, far more than I do.

I also read Phil Shoemaker's commentaries on Bear rifles, absolutely the finest material of it's type I have read in more than 50 yrs. of perusing gun mags. I have sufficient realtime bush experience to judge this accurately and actually carry some rifles identical to some of his with very similar loads.

As a general gun writer and especially regarding hunting rifle handloading, John Barsness is about my favourite; his lack of pompous chestbeating and willingness to change his mind on issues such as barrel breakin make his work both enjoyable and instructive. I second the thanks of the other posters here concerning the free sharing of info. which he might be able to sell and this comradely behaviour is why I will re-new my subscriptions to Rifle and Handloader.