I have not subscribed to any of the gun magazines for many years. Mostly because the mystery, the magic, of seeking knowledge seemed to be unnecessary. This is not to say I already knew it all but that I knew enough to seek my own answers and find my own solutions. Or so I thought. By interacting with other shooters and hunters in the flesh, as it were, I had all the information I could process and plenty of people interested in what I had to say.
I have come to believe though, while I may not have missed out on any earth shaking knowledge, I have missed out on a good deal of fascinating and entertaining writing by people who are worth reading.
When I finally decided to move into the modern era and get a computer I was amazed by the information which is available to anyone who can read. As well, I was able to converse with my fellow gun enthusiasts any time I wanted. It may be of some interest to note that, at the time I moved into the computer age, I had been living without electricity or phone for about 5 years. Talk about culture shock! Anyway, the internet has turned out to be a great source of entertainment and information. I feared that the existence of free information might well negatively impact the producers of the printed word but it almost seems that the reverse is true. I think these boards really help to stimulate interest which is good for all aspects of the firearms industry. Also, it gives writers and potential writers a sounding board for ideas for articles which might be of interest. This may mean magazine content will get even better and more worth reading.
I, for one, truly hope the gun "rags" continue to prosper and the gunwriters continue to entertain and even, occasionally, inform us. GD