Jim,

I have never, ever recovered a 100-grain Ballistic Tip or 100-grain Hornady from an antelope or a deer. I've used the .25-06 and Karen uses her .250 Ackley and the bullets sail through every time.

Heck, Karen even killed a couple of elk with her lowly .250 Ackley and 100-grain Ballistics. Lung shots with a two-inch exit hole out the far ribs.

I guess my question is as follows: How much penetration does a bullet need, granted that it has good construction? One of my antelope does this year was weirdly positioned. It was kind of a bank shot and she was feeding. Because of the angle, I shot her waaaay behind the shoulder and the bullet exited a few inches behind the ear. The bullet entered at the diaphram, coursed the body, ran the neck and popped out. Two-inch exit and not a lot of meat loss. Perfect.

I really expected the 100 Ballistic to stop in the neck, but it kept on cutting through meat (broke the neck bone too). Anyway, I'm a believer and this experience (and a bunch in the past) have me convinced that 100s are the way to go.

Yeah, I suppose, in theory, that the heavier bullet would penetrate further than lighter bullets. BUT (big but) don't forget that the velocity is lower on the heavies and, depending on the bullet construction, that might also affect penetration.

One of the things I really like about the 100s is that they shoot considerably flatter than the 117s and 120s. We get a lot of open country, way the heck across the prairie shots, here in the West and a flat trajectory is a great aid in hitting.

Have no doubt that the 100 Ballistic and the 100 Hornady Spire are freaking killers.

Hope this helps.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397