Bwanabe,

Friend, I've had both and, interestingly, I've had better luck with the standard .25-'06. This is probably because the .25-'06 is already a REALLY BIG quarter-bore.

Over the years, I've two .25-'06 Ackleys and both of them were not enough faster than standard .25-'06s I've had to make it worth the fireforming of brass. They were both Schneider barrels, fine barrels and I'd have to assume that they were characteristic.

It would be very interesting to chamber the same barrel for .25-06 and later, without changing the length significantly, rechamber for .25-'06. Even more, it would be great to compare results with a strain-gauge setup, so you were dealing with equal pressures.

I do know this; if you opt for the .25-'06 Ackley, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a fireform barrel for making brass. I have a slave rifle and fireform barrels for several of my Ackleys and it really keeps the stress off the throats of my fine barrels.

My last several big .25s have been just the standard .25-'06 Remington. I stuff it with a hatful of RL-22 and top it off with 100 Ballistics. The combination really lights up antelope.

Hope this helps,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397