I own 4 45 Colt sixguns, all of the Rugers and one is a custom Linebaugh built SBH Ruger.

It is hard for many to beleive the potential of a heavy cast bullet shot out of a sixgun. I was sold into "sixgun slavery" about 14 years ago. The friend I mentioned is close friends to John Linebaugh, the custom gunsmith who have us the real potential of the 45 Colt (Dick Casual did much for us too) and also gave us the 475 and 500 Linebaugh rounds.

Your right, to see this potential, one must have a good sound gun. The 45 needs good sixguns like the Ruger to safely handle heavy loads.

I can run 325gr and 350gr Cast bullets from my 4 3/4" or 5.5" Ruger Single Actions over 1200fps without trouble or effort. I have been running 405gr Cast bullet at 1000fps. I know it seemd they would just push the bowling ball away. I doubt it would but like I said, I want to try. They will shoot through a log cabin at half a mile though. That I have seen. (the log cabin was abandoned incase you were wondering)

No kidding. One must see it to really beleive it.

Back to the real subject: I have thought about a 257 Weatherby Vanguard (as I own a 300 Weatherby Vanguard). Is it going to gain me much over the 25-06 given the weatherby only has a 24" barrel? I've been thinking about picking up a 25 cal as a pick up rifle for Idaho. Mostly I pick off distant cats off haystacks and the 243 and 22-250 doesn't hold up in the wind. I'd also like enough gun for distant yotes.

So many guns and so little money.

CM