Originally Posted by isaac
For instance, is a top quality mid-height,partly meshed hiking boot preferable to an all-leather??

In a word Bob, Yes..I think so...plus I also did a great deal of my hunting in normal tennis/running shoes. If seeds are an issue, I would duct tape the tops...and tape the laces down if theres a bunch of thorn constantly untying them...
I liked somewhat softer soles, so I didnt crunch too much stuff and make noise..JMHO..
Bob, frankly on clothing, footwear etc. I found I liked to use whatever I use stateside in warmer weather, with one exception...a tight weave shirt,Cabelas " serengeti" IIRC or Filson shelter cloth...keeps the thorns out, and the shirts don't rip. For cold mornings in the truck a lined Carhartt jacket was always ideal, and I always left it with my favorite tracker, to get more room in my suitcase for african junk on the way home! grin

I also found regular jeans are OK too.. so long as you don't use fabric softener on them ...it makes them soft enough for seeds to cling to, and thorns to get a grip on...

Cabelas Shirt, jeans,mid height pseudo "hiking" boots...

[Linked Image]

Cabelas shirt, jeans, cant see them, but wearing Asics running shoes...also note leather glove...nice for parting thorn branches out of the way. grin

[Linked Image]

Chilly morning, wearing 300 wt. fleece jacket...NOT good in the thorn, but PERFECT in a leopard blind...

[Linked Image]
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe