Originally Posted by elkchsr
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
We found two antelope bucks decomposing on on our place this year, that were wounded on neighboring ranches and ran onto ours before dying...

Also heard lots of horror stories about land owners who refuse access to recover wounded game.

Those may be true. I've had ranchers tell me lots of horror stories about people who have trespassed and/or poached, and I've seen more than a few examples myself. In '09 one our paying hunters watched a hunter drop a buck several hundred yards on our property. The guy and the buck were gone before anyone could drive over there. We did find his 7mm WSM casing. The year before that I was out working on windmills and found two guys with a very nice dead buck in one of our pastures. They proudly told me they'd killed it right there after a hard stalk. Problem was they were more than a mile off of the ranch they thought they were on. Experiences with jerks and morons like these can make ranchers less than friendly.

I've never had a hunter come ask if they could follow a wounded animal. If they did, I'd help them out, but then I'm a fellow hunter and I don't like to see a buck suffer needlessly.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain