I had a friend bring 5 twenty something kids to the rod and gun club yesterday. We brought rifles and pistols for them to shoot. The guys brought a couple .22 rifles. I brought my .300WSM.

I had it built for about $3000 with a Nesika action, HS Precision bottom metal, a Micmillan stock, Lilja barrel, and Jewel trigger. Talley Mounts and a Leupold scope (not included in the 3K). I took it with me to North Carolina the last two years I rifle hunted. I got to shoot out to 500 yards and wrote out the bullet drop on the stock.

The last year, I shot two deer at 450 yards. I dropped both on their faces. Now, after bow hunting the last 12 or so years, I thought about the distance yesterday. There's a farmer's field next to our property and it's 380 yards to the far side of it. I had the kids at the range, pointed to a red barrel on the far shore, and said the two deer I shot were 70 yards further away. The kids just looked at me. I figured from shooting coffee cans that 500 yds is as far as I'm going to go. I even get the feeling that 500yds is pushing it.

Last edited by rob p; 01/02/11.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson