Matt,
<br>
<br>There is little doubt the 280AI is a dandy. Simply put,the 7Rem,is "dandier".
<br>
<br>It comes right down to what you want and need. The 280AI comes close,using less powder. That generates less recoil and will help barrel life. Those are all good things.
<br>
<br>That being said,I couldn't fathom a way,to cuss the 7Mag. I always felt it to be the upper performance limit,for Joe Average,regarding recoil. To really outdo it,you are gonna get beat up. I'm sure I could happily Hunt the World with the 280AI,but I've much more firsthand experience,with the 7mag. With that experience,comes a huge measure of faith.
<br>
<br>I use the cartridge different than most,because I'm not a heavy bullet man. The 120/140X is all I'd ever launch from that case. If that isn't gonna do it,neither will a heavier bullet,going slower. I'd go up in diameter,before hamstringing it,with lumbering velocities and mundane bullet construction.
<br>
<br>A friend is expecting his 22" barreled 280AI back any day(it is being shipped in the same box,as my much awaited new 7-08). when it shows,I can toss some hard data fresh off the chronograph,to you. He built it short and light,obviously a longer tube would grant more speed. A 22" barreled 280Ackley,makes 10x as much sense,as a 26" barreled 7Ultra(grin). For what he wants,the 280Ackley,is the best of what's available(my opinion).
<br>
<br>I have a sweet spot for the 7Mag,it is a hell of a good cartridge. Most guys wood it up with projectiles that keep it, from reaping it's potential. The 120's at 3500fps,out of a 24" tube,is a superb load. V-Max of the same weight,grant it versaility,few are aware of.
<br>
<br>I've had lots of them and never once been less that amazed,with it's performance. To date,I haven't shot a barrel out of one and was never alarmed at the prospect. While it could most certainly be done,I don't believe it to be a legitimate concern,especially in a Hunting Rifle.
<br>
<br>I just got my best one back from a buddy. I couldn't even formulate a guesstimate,as to how many rounds it has digested. She was the mainstay of my stable for a while and I shoot it constantly. I know for sure,it ate one carton of 140gr Core-Lokts(1000)all by itself,because I shot that bullet for practice. That isn't counting the loads I REALLY liked(120 Ballistic tip,until the advent of the V-max).
<br>
<br>So I couldn't give a definative answer,in regards to barrel life. Other than to say,if you shot one out,you'd of had a good time doing it.
<br>
<br>I like mine a little shorter than most,the 24" tube makes me happy. Though a 26" would be faster,nobody is going to tell me,that 2" of barrel length is going to leave it non-lethal.
<br>
<br>If I would have never fallen in love(by shooting one) a 257Wby,I would lean on the 7Rem Mag,for most everything. I think very highly of it. Couple it with great bullet and it becomes even better yet. Yep,no doubt. If you took all my 25's away,I'd be sporting the 7Mag.
<br>
<br>Re-22,is THE powder,for me and what I do with it...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."