We need to avoid getting to wrapped up in labels. Labels are useful in a general sense. but they do not apply to every situation.

I think Ken is an excellent example of someone who leans more toward being a scholar than a teacher. Ken has always maintined he wanted to learn this stuff for himself. His motivation was to know.

I personally find I am drawn to learn so I can teach others as much as for my own understanding, which I believe defines the heart of a teacher. I see the scholar as being more of an authority on what is the right view, whereas the teacher conveys that view to others.

Once again, I think a true teacher does not teach with ego. He learns as much--if not more--from his students as the students learn from him. A teacher is willing to admit to being wrong. I find that I am more driven to ensure someone's approach to gaining understanding is more important than the specific conclusions they come too--except when it comes to the "key issues".

Having said that, I have no doubt Ken has been used much more as a teacher than I have. I don't think God isn't as concerned with labeling whether we are teacher, student, scholar, pastor, whatever as He is with our being sensitive to the Holy Spirit and being obedient to Him.

References have been made to learning by the Spirit vs learning by intellect. This is a good issue. Ultimately, our learning comes from God. The Spirit confirms the truth of what we discover through our intellect.

If God had chosen to reveal all things to all people, then this is all we would need. Intellectual study and Spirit confirmation. Many claim that is all they need now. I see it differently.

God did not choose to reveal everything to everyone. Further, he speaks to each of us in different ways. As such, we can never know we are 100% sure we have correctly heard from God. Now we can be very sure on many things, but our confidence cannot be perfect as long as we are imperfect beings living in an imperfect world.

This is where faith comes in. We must have faith that God has made provision for our uncertainty. I believe one way He has made provision is through using groups of believers, just as happened with the sending out of Paul and Barnabas in the early church. I'm sure most of us have been in groups of believers and sensed the Spirits leading, resulting in a strong consensus on a particular course of action. There is very little doubt when 7 or 8 or 200 peolple sense the same direction from God.

Another way God confirms His truth is through intellect and reasoning. If that same group of believers study a particular passage of scripture, and by using reasoning and intellect--often facilitated by a teacher or scholar, come to a consensus; that can also greatly reduce doubt. The consenus, just like the seemingly "more" spritual sensing of the Holy Spirit, is fully God's confirmation.

The big danger to all of us--especially when we are by ourselves--is mistaking God's leading for our own emotions. The intellect is a great tool to sort out the difference.