Originally Posted by chicoredneck
My father won a sako 338 federal at an auction. He was exited at first because he thought it was a 338 win mag. He was so discusted when he found out it was a 338 federal and looked at the ballistics he hasen't shot it yet and it has sat in the gun rack untouched for at least a year if not more now. He is looking at rebarreling it to a 243.

The ballistics to me say "meh" so what. If all your shots are limited to 200 yards and you feel the need for a large hole using a bullet with poor SD then this is probabbly a good choice, but then again there are a number of other good choices out there that already do just that.

Not that it is a bad caliber, I just don't see what it has over other calibers.

Now in an Ar10 it makes perfect sense and almost seems made for an auto.

What does a .270 have over a .25-06 or a .257 Wby? What about a 7mm-08 and a .308 ? A 7mm mag and a .300wm ???

Dude, face it... LOTS of cartridges overlap in every category out there. To say your father was disgusted with the cartridge is just plain ridiculous, it will cleanly take anything in North America. Poor sectional density, eh???? What do you plan on shooting and at what distance....Oh let me guess - another, "I shoot Moose at 1,500 yards..."