Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
That'd be fun to do, especially over across the pond with a ton load of time and a lot of bullets.

Course the SST isn't quite what I'd pick as a big bone breaker even in a 338 Fed....

I'd say use the bestest bullets each one has available for the job at hand. If one wanted to go deep and break big bones it's gonna be very very tough to beat the 175 Noz out of the 7's big lil or small.

You mentioned the SST in the 338 Fed with a BC of .430 so if you wish to comp SST's in the two small case rounds I spect a fair comp would be to use the 160 SST with a BC of .550 out of the lil 7.

One could get 2700 out of the lil 7 with the 160 and what maybe 2400 out of the lil 33 if both rigs had 22" tubes.

IMO what one will do the other will do when it comes to bruins/moose or elks. And at long range the lil 7 will once again hand the 33 it's bunz!

Up close with stouter bullets for going for the most penetration I'd still bet on the 175 Noz going deeper than any of the 33's will do if bullet construction is the same. And this to me negates the 33's bigger cross sectional area or whatever you called it.

Just the way I see it but the 7's big lil or small are incredibly tough to beat. And this is coming from a fella who's been a confirmed 33 nutcase for many moons. (wore out two barrels with .340's shooting game/targets and long range chucks so I'd say that qualify's me as a 33 nutcase)

Dober

Never once claimed the 338 Fed to be long range. Thats where my 264WM with a 30" barrel with 1 in 8" twist takes over. Where is your 100 and 200 yard numbers? The 338 Federal American Eagle 185gr soft point starts at 2750fps and 3105 ft lbs, 100 yds 2510fps and 2595 ft lbs, 200 yrds 2290fps and 2150ft lbs. Hand loads will better that a bunch.