Sorry to interfere in your thread but want to give you the vision of a guy from Europe who use the 338Fed for 2,5 years now.
First i want to say that i don't understand why hunters punch each other because of caliber choice or liking. You all know that, if usefulness was the only reason to choose a caliber the 30-06 would be enough for 95% of our hunts even in Europe or Africa. Except in France (for crazy laws)where the good old 7x64Brenneke would do the same job.
But some calibers are better than other in some firearms or hunting situations or people prefer one to the other, that's freedom of choice.

In Europe for sure the 338 Federal will never become a block buster because of different way of thinking and sometimes laws but it offer some advantages over the cartridges we use mostly in driven hunt, where game is more difficult to kill or stop because of adrenaline and often so-so bullet placement.
As we mostly use semi autos in driven hunts i try to convince Browning, Merkel or Benelli to have a model so chambered. Would be easier on the rifle than the 9,3x62 or the magnum we use and easier on shooter too. Wait and see...

1st: It offer the punch of the 30-06 in a smaller package
2nd: Can use short action
3rd: Offer more punch than the 308, bigger size bullet, and with heavier one a bit more momentum
4th: In driven hunt seem to strike almost as strongly as a 35Whelen or 9,3x62 with 200 to 250grs.
5th: Better trajectory
6th: Less recoil so people train more and shoot better

For a guy who stalk it's accurate and good enough for more than 350m with Accubond or TSX. But a magnum is not and must not be compare to. The 7-08 is not a 7mmRM nor the 260Rem a 264WM, a 358 is not a 358Norma Mag. To condamn it is like condamning the 338-06.

Having used it on Wild boars, Red deer, Corsican ram, Roes in driven or stalk hunts, i would have no fear to use it for moose or Euro bears with the right bullet.
Note that i handload the 338Fed with 250grs bullet (have a stock of Sako Hammerhead)to 2300 fps (warm load but safe in my T3)and that the little beast anchor boars very well even if the case is a bit small for such heavy weight.

Not a bad cartridge but one in a "niche" on an over crowded market. For me , rifle loony, it's ok and i like it.
have a good sunday
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)