3k out of the lil 3 might be doable with a 22" tube but I think one would have to step on it a lot harder than one would to get a 160 out of a 7 Rem with 24" tube.

Just the way I see it, but I've not owned a 338 Fed as of yet. In the Montana package it'd be a heck of a fun lil round. But, I'd run a 180 NBT and call it a day.

Barnes lists the BC as .342 with the 160/338 and I'd say that's a generous number, but then I've not been one to trust the BC's that Barnes puts out either. This isn't a bullet I'd pick to run with a 7 Rem mag in a drag race either though.

Running a 160 Noz out of the 7 which is a pretty common 7 Rem mag bullet which has a BC of .475 and running the numbers with JBM things begin to get ugly real fast!

Sight em both spot on @ 100 (which IMO the only way to do a side by side test) at 500 yds the 338 Fed drops a mere 14" more, energy for the lil 33 is 1191 and for the 7 the energy is 1826 ft lbs. Which gives the 7 a edge of about 635 lbs which is almost 50% more than the lil 33 has in total...

Take it to 600 and 700 yds and things get even worse.

Now grant it not many people take game in the 400-700 yd range but some do and for me when I begin to comp rounds I take it to the max ranges I'd be shooting at game.

Bottom line to me and my way of thinking the lil 33 is kind of a cool round but when comping it to a big 7 things are gonna go so well for it.

Course one could begin to take into account the ability of the two rounds to penetrate on big big game (IE elk) and things will no doubt get even uglier. And I for one want two holes in game, they're not always needed but it sure does help from time to time.

A bunch of BG for sure but it is what it is.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy