I haven't owned one, but i have had a reasonable opportunity to see what it can do in friend's rifles. And from what i have observed i would have to agree with a lot of the sentiment above - it is simply unbeatable on bigger and tougher deer (or big pigs) at non-internet ranges. I have been very impressed with the combination with the 185 gr Barnes TTSX. Bullet performance has been far more reliable than using 7mm and 300 mags at these ranges - which are generally less than 250 yards and often much closer (OK, i'm sure guys could have done better with their reloading and choice of ammunition, too). And i think the reality is, these are the ranges at which most real hunting occurs - not all, but most. And rifles are lighter and handier, and don't recoil a lot (although recoil is almost beside the point at these ranges). I have a 8x57, and it is very similar, but if i had a turnbolt i'd have the 338 instead for the shorter action and choice of 338 bullets.

It is certainly not a cartridge for folks who find ballistics at 700 yards is of some significance to them. It is a real hunter's cartridge. If you are after big deer at ranges of less than about 300 yards (and who isn't), i think it is simply your best bet.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums