Just wanting to understand if the consensus here has changed...

There was always a prevalent attitude here that both sellers and buyers operated with some degree of honor, honesty, and integrity. I am proud to say that none of the deals I ever did here (or anywhere else in gunforumland) caused buyers to express remorse or disappointment. Guy did return a PF bolt body once because he didn't specify he wanted CRF and never asked for a pic, but he got his money back. Two of the many "pay some now, pay rest later" deals I did for guys who didn't have $300 or more to spend didn't work out; but all the others did and anyone who sent me $ got refund or part of what the mdse they wanted...

Was kind of surprised recently though when a guy who has been posting A Lot of WTB lisings replied that he wanted to buy my Brand New Win 70 SS CRF takeoff barrel "at a fair price" of about half what I listed it for and also wanted a die set...

We negotiated, I thought, in good faith and then this guy says he don't have the money, but can I hold the gear for him while he buys an action? Guy said nothing about needing a stock, but maybe that was to come later???

Okay, forum ace with around 2800 posts says he can't pay right now for his Want To Buy gear, but he don't mention he needs extra time to pay in his listing or in the first couple PMs...

Really wondering if you guys think this kind of tactic is kosher here? Is the Name of the Campfire Buying Game; get the lowest price firmed up, & then tell the guy you're broke but maybe next month you can pay?

Feel like I was dealing with a Professional Grifter on this deal who was not on the up & up. Have canceled deals a couple times with guys who gave me a bad vibe, especially when the money was very good.

Have come to expect anything I offer for sale on Campfire will be lowballed way down, so don't post much here anylonger; but this is a new one on me.

Doesn't posting a WTB listing imply buyer is ready to buy and has funds or trade item in hand?

Is it "good strategy" to work a seller down to the last dime, and then, after price is agreed, inform seller you can't pay for 3-4 weeks at earliest?

Is it acceptable to post a WTB and structure a deal here and then be seeking other deals for same gear on other forums?

I understand, very few guys still have any disposable income or money to spend... But it is my view that this kind of buyer pushes the envelope a lot further than is acceptable. A business that operated in this fashion would be liable under the law for Sharp Practices and possibly fraud...

Really think that a sincere and honorable buyer would be up-front with how long they expected seller to hold gear before they sent money. Held a Rem 700 action and scope base for several weeks for a guy who got paid once a month. But he didn't game me on price and then ask me to wait...

Just seems like the Grifters are getting more plentiful and obvious. Kind of a bummer to find one so actively working this board.