Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by kandpand
DMc any feeding or extraction issues with your bolt rifles?

Keith, the extraction problems mentioned previously are a result of the head size difference on the bolt face of bolt action rifles. The 35 Remington has a head size of .460 whereas the 308 based cartridges (i.e. 358 Winchester) have a .473 head size. It's a simple procedure to "open" a bolt face, but to make one smaller..., not so easy. That's the primary problem often overlooked by people wanting to build a custom 35 Remington. Very few rifles are made with a .460 bolt face. I've never had any feeding or extraction issues but I've never used an over-sized bolt face either.

DMc

The difference in bolt face is enough that some rifles with a .473 bolt face will extract, and some wont. You can always have the bolt bushed and machined. Or some type of Sako extractor installed, if one dares. The primary problem isnt extraction, but feeding. The feed ramp is different and the magazine box lips will need arranged. Getting them all to play nice wasnt something I could do. And believe me I tried. If one has the time, money, and a good smith that knows his schit, itll work.