Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by humdinger
I could see busting shoulders on a elk you don't want to see go down a big ravine or fear of tracking a mean bear into a swamp, but ruining a good portion of the deer's meat and sending lead fragments all over to see that "dramatic DRT" shot isn't worth it. Seems stupid and on par with "hunting show" mentality where they only care about the antlers and not the meat.

Put it in the boiler room and you will find them quick enough.

Newsflash: Conditions in other areas are not necessarily just like your back yard. You have obviously have never crawled on your hands an knees thru the south Texas thornbrush, getting your arms and legs bloody, with the temperature in the 80's, and come nose-to-face with a curled rattler.

May seem stupid to you sitting on your couch, but I don't like chasin' 'em thru the brush. Open your mind, don't be so quick to judge, and understand that conditions may be different in other places.

The thorn brush would be nasty and I can see your perspective. On the other hand, you've never heard of the Minnesota "heart shot" either because I wouldn't destroy hindquarters... unless I was just after antlers. Different strokes for different folks there Willis.

So maybe having a different opinion than you ain't necessarily "stupid and hunting show mentality", huh, Slick?

Not totally Dick. Deer hunting is different all around the country. Reading about "cull hunting" and "paying by antler class" and "shooting in front of feeders" and calling deer "dinks" is a style of hunting that I don't care for. If shooting the deer through both shoulders is the only way to prevent losing a deer in the brush and rattle snakes, I can accept that. Shooting a deer through both shoulders or blowing out the hindquarters so you can get those horns just to save a little tracking is meat wasteful. I was hunting WI with a guy who said if he saw nice antlers on a deer, he would shoot it in the hindquarters just to get it. We were on busy public land so it may be a conditioned mindset to allow that. There is a sickening trend of people dumping headless deer here in MN because all they wanted is a shoulder mount. So when does blowing out all the meat blur over to cutting the head off? My father always told me if we shot the hindquarters out that he would take my hunting away because we are wasting the meat. That's how I was raised. I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?