Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've never seen nor heard of a deer hit well with a 243 getting away, regardless of bullet. I shot core-locts and powerpoints when I was a youngster out of a 243, all hits just rear of shoulder, animals down either immediately or within 10 steps, no exits, ranges to 200 yds. Seemed as uncomplicated as it gets to me then.

You nailed it. It IS uncomplicated. I've started carrying my 243 Mountain more the last few years. Mostly because my youngest is up and hunting,and we sometimes only have one rifle with us. The 243. I've said it before. Take a look at the young guns success photos in any of the major hunting publications. All sorts of kids killing all sorts of critters. A LOT of them using various 243s. If it's good enough for first timers,it's well capable in experienced hands. Light report,next to nothing for recoil,accurate.What's not to like? Put a good bullet in the C.N.S. or boiler room and get the knife.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."