All this gear was used on a third season CO Elk hunt, backpack style:

Gear that I loved:

- Paradox 4800 pack and base Talon. Going to do a full report on this pack. Used it to haul camp in, used it as a daypack, and used it to pack down nearly 100 pounds of boned out meat. Passed with flying colors.

- Seek Outside 6 Man and Large stove. I've always read - you can get the inside of the tent HOT with a stove. Was hard to believe, but let me tell you - 18 degrees outside, 65 inside. Had it glowing, and boy it felt good.

- Jetboil. Too easy. Too much fun. I've had it for years and it keeps on trucking. No problem getting a good boil at high elevations.

- Kimber Montana 270. What can't it do? I wish the stainless was a little more resistant (may get it coated someday), but love this little rifle.

Clothing that I loved:

- Marmot Scree pants. Boy howdy. These were awesome. I thought MANY times that I would rip them on a dead fall or oak brush. Never tore a hole in them. Paired with a light base layer, they took me through all kids of temps. Have become my go to hunting pants. Will be keeping an eye out for more 34 waist, long inseam to have another pair.

- Patagonia Houdini. I felt like an idiot buying this little garment. So light and small. How could it do anything? And for $100? It was one of the BEST items I had in my day pack. Need to sit on a windy open hill side to glass? Put it on, and slap on the hood - instant wind block. I highly recommend a wind shell to everyone. And one with a hood. The warmth difference with and without the hood was huge.

Gear I could improve:

- My sleeping system is heavy. Big Agnes Lost Ranger, Insulated Air Core pad (that has never leaked - going on 5 years) and a Z-Lite. Too much stuff, too heavy. I know it can be expensive to shed ounces in the sleep system, so I'm putting it off for now. I could probably shed 1.5 pounds and have a warmer set-up.

- My binos. I see why guys like range finding binos. One less gadget to have in my pocket - its all around my neck. I will be asking questions about the Swaro and Leica rangefinding binos. So damn expensive, but so quick to range and make a call on legal animal or trophy animal.

- Game bags. Brought cotton pillow cases. Heavy, don't compact. Will buy real game bags next time. Maybe the TAG BOMB bags as mentioned here. So light at compact.

Clothing I could improve:

- I think I'm leaving the soft shell behind. Wool base layer, fleece layer, puffy and a wind shell was plenty. The soft shell is just too much of a "tweener", does a good job on a lot of things, but not a great job. The puffy/wind shell combo does better and does it lighter. I'll keep it around for less physical hunts, but it won't go up the mountain with me again.

- Boots. Blew em out. On the search. Looking at everything. Buddy has some Kennetrek Mountain Extremes. Was surprised how light they are for such a substantial boot.

All for now. Hope this helps someone!