Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
It appears the Sawvivor did not survive. Feel free to elaborate on hatchets/axes if you would Ed. If you are packing a saw, what justifies the weight of anything larger than a GB Mini?

Glen,

The Sawvivor is my choice for bucking up a lot of wood and also for sawing skull plates on elk.

I got rid of my GB Mini when the Outdoors Ax came out. Much more efficient and not that much heavier. However, I have gotten to where I mostly prefer a big knife like this:

[Linked Image]

When used baton style I think it is as efficient and safer than a small ax/hatchet.

There are time though, like this fall where our weather was like NW Montana, almost Pacific Northwest like, in the amount of rain and wet snow. This past week, I couldn't get red slash pine needles to burn without first drying them, Everything was soaked. The only way to get a sustainable fire was through sawing and then splitting wood. In those instances an ax like the GB Small Forest or Scandinavian Forest axes really shine and well worth the added weight.

Dry wood and the Scandinavian Forest Ax:

[Linked Image]

The resulting fire:

[Linked Image]

I have learned that there is no one kit that works for all conditions and I try to adapt to current conditions as necessary.

Ed T