Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
A .270 under performing on deer? Really? I've been at this big game hunting thing a long time, and I've never heard that comment before.

Do some of you guys expect every animal you shoot, as you put it "DRT", to instantly die as if struck by lightning? In all of the guiding and hunting with friends, family and my own kills, I'm always way more nervous when I see a big game animal drop on the spot. I'd much rather see a short death run from a properly placed lung shot anytime. Believe it or not, I've seen more than a few of those DRT's miraculously jump up and before another shot could be fired, disappear into the heavy cover, never to be seen again.....the term DRT, is about as appauling to me, as guys calling extra points on antlers, "trash".

I know under performing sound crazy on deer but I really don't know what else to call it. I do strive to kill everything like lightning hit it. Got to be careful here because all a deer has to jump a fence on a neighboring farm and your done if the owner won't let you cross the fence (he does not have to let you cross).

I know guys like you, bob and muledeer have killed many times the game I have and praise the 270 win but I have always had better results with a 30 caliber gun.

Who would have thought that the first deer I body shot with 130 grain TTTSX wouldn't have exited? That's the kind of luck I have with the 270 win.

Dink

I've been blessed with an extraordinary number of DRTs with a .270 (130 NPt), but in all seriousness, if you're concerned about a deer "jumping the fence, I'd try a .340 Weatherby with a 200 gr or a .257 Weatherby with whatever works in it. They each have the potential of Thor's hammer on whitetail.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett