Originally Posted by pick

I am willing to listen to answers.

I shoot weekly from April through November up to 600 yards. I have run partition, Accubonds,TTSX's and BT.

I can not make it kill like a 30-06.

Dink

The 270 was the first rifle I ever spent my own money on at the sage age of 14 after working all summer to have enough to buy it. As much as I liked and killed my very first deer with it I will admit that for GP hunting the 30-06 has the edge.

I believe much of your issue may be how you hunt and shoot. I never did like what a 270 did inside 100 yrds. Was never as predictable as an 06 or such. Where it really shinned though was 100+ out to 400yrds if you are up to that level of shooting.

I sold that rifle and many others I had back while in the navy as I could not move them around with me. I have fond memories of it, but I have never felt the need to buy another. Of course I have never bought a 06 either.

My current collection of rifles has been thinned out to family members but I still have the bases well covered

CF starting with smallest dia.

257 Rbts in Rem 722
7x57 Mauser in Rem 700 Mtn Rifle
8mm-06 in custom M98 (has Pac-nor barrel) Only rifle still from my youth
44 Mag .. two of them .. 1894 Marlin and Ruger 77/44
45-70 in 1895 Marlin

Bottom line. If you do not enjoy it or question it, replace it with something you do have faith in and enjoy.

Life is truly to short for anything else.

It's funny how people can use the same tool and get different results... confused

I have never seen more certain "death" and predictable outcome than when chest hitting a buck inside 100-200 yards with a 270.

Last year I heard the shots down the ridge and went to a partner still standing where he had shot at a buck about 80 yards up through the hardwoods,chasing a does. I knew his shooting ability on game and asked him to tell what happened and where the deer was on the last shot(he was shooting a 270 and 130 NPT).

He said the last shot felt good,then the buck disappeared from view,and he heard nothing after that. I said "Well he's dead right up there... smile

Sure enough he was drilled through the shoulders,typical exit with hunk of bone sticking out the exit hole and no blood trail needed... smile

Typical 270-130 Partition and have seen it who knows anymore how many times. Results always the same.

Like a famous gun writer once said....if you chest hit an animal with a 270 and don't kill him, you know one of two things....he wasn't chest hit, or he wasn't hit at all.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.