300 magnums and soft bullets do lots of damage,more so than anything smaller that I have seen; but 7 mags are no slouches in that department either. Velocity is pretty well screwed up high in both instances and this translates into a lot of trauma from heavy bullets traveling fast.

Some of that thunder can be tamed with tougher bullets that arrest expansion at some point,and provide more reliable penetration in the bargain... Nosler Partitions being among the examples,and there are others today.

The same goes for the 270 IMO(280,284,7x57,7-08,etc etc,all chickens hatched from the same clutch of eggs with no clear winner)and lots of bullets are designed for killing deer sized game,tend to be thin-jacketed and "soft"; sometimes these are relibel and sometimes they aren't IMHO.....but that is easily fixed, and friends and I have used 130,150,and 160 NPT's in 270's for decades with quick kills and bullets infrequently recovered,although I have a few from 270's.

I agree with Scenarshooter and Cobrad above.... and if you want to stop proceedings right now or in short order,aim to break some bone on the way in or out to vitals, (the infatuation with pure lung hits with soft bullets being something I never understood...some folks read too much JOC IMO and even he smartened up as he matured and ended his career killing animals of all sizes with 130 NPT's once they became available.There are other bullets as good today) smile

Going this way with a 270 I have never seen a lick of trouble if bullets went where they were supposed to and that includes animals up close and out to 400-500 yards...beyond that with a 270,I have nothing to offer.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.