This is the first I have heard of the new Ruger .375 cartridge, but I have to say I�m a prime candidate to buy one � for a number of reasons.

The first is that I like Ruger centerfire rifles and have more of them (4) than I do Marlin (3), Browning, (1), Remington (1) or any other make (0).
While I have a Marlin in .375Win, I�ve wanted a .375 in H&H, Dakota or RUM for some time � not for Africa, not for Alaska or Canada, not even for hunting in griz country in the lower 48, all places I will very likely NEVER hunt. A .375 bolt gun would become another elk rifle in the stable.

With kids in college, new Ruger rifles in H&H, Dakota rifles or even Remington RUM�s are out of my price bracket � and I have not seen any at gun shows that were in a condition and price that would separate me from m money either. The new Rugers can be built on the standard length Ruger action and should be no more expensive to manufacture than a .338 or .300. My last new Ruger was a canoe-paddle .300 Win that I paid $375 for during the Christmas sales. Even without the sales $450 will get a new Ruger most any day, at least in the Denver area. I�m sure the new .375�s will command a premium price for a while the initial demand is serviced, but that should change relatively quickly.

As to the Ruger �flaw� of sloppy CRF, I own both push-feed CRF Rugers and am quite happy with both. I do prefer the CRF simply because I do 99.9% of my shooting at the range in single shot mode and the CRF makes easier to extract cases one handed � I just angle them out and pluck them out of the receiver.

So what I am looking at with the new Ruger .375 is a cartridge and rifle combination that should soon fall into my price range, is on the action I prefer. Even better, I suspect more than a few people will buy them, shoot them only to discover the recoil is more than they want to handle, and sell them. I�ll be keeping an eye out for those rifles in particular!

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/26/06.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.