Ok maybe I'm hung up on the feed issue too much. But I spend much of my life in a situation that is clearly different from many of you folks.

The "typical" American hunter wants every possible amount of speed from his cartridge. Just look at the magnums evolution in this Country!

Now I get a hunter who has taken the time to develop this maximum+ load with great accuracy and he's shooting a 300 win mag from a more or less stock rifle. He's awfully proud of the effort and has a hella powerful accurate load, under normal American fall hunting conditions.

He has this gun in the 90-100+ degree sun for the whole day. The metal is hot to the touch, not warm, but burning hot. Then he has the chance for the shot and the spent shell ain't coming out of that chamber now. I promise you this has been a frequent enough occurrence that the design concept bothers me enough to have mentioned it. Max loads at 60-70 deg are way over loaded at 90-100!

Another scenario. The hunter shows up in AK for a coastal brownie hunt. He is using brass shells not nickel plated. He's got them in a leather shell holder on his belt. By the 4-5th day they are green and have a film over the whole case. The shells in the magazine are also getting green. Now he gets a shot and guess what, the extractor pulls off the rim, or the extractor jumps the rim leaving the spent shell in the chamber. I've seen this happen more times then I can count.

But never a single time ever with the HH long tapered case design. Why do you think it's popularity for Brownies was unmatched for the last 40 years or so? Plenty of power, 100% reliable and built with CRF actions that were proven. Plus mild recoil with easy second shots for such a powerful rifle.

So maybe the guy using it for Elk in mild/ cold weather gets what he wants from this design. For those folks I stand corrected on the skeptical over analyzing of these posts. However, I still stand by my concern over the use of this "new" design for those buying it to protect themselves or for those hunting in harsh/hot/salty/ hideous conditions.

I suspect that a properly designed CRF action well tuned with a reasonable loads in this cartridge will function well.

On the other hand, this load packed to the gills with powder and shot from a less then perfect CRF rifle could be a struggle. I would very likely just shoot it in a Push feed that has a flawless feeding cycle. In any case buying a new rifle for DG is very much like racing a new car. It's a bad idea to compete at the highest level and expect to come out on top without experts in your corner. Whether they be your mechanic, and race team setting up the car for the race, or it be your gunsmith who makes that gun competitive for the dangerous potential situations it may have to get you out of.

The cost of brand new rarely if ever includes "just right" where rifles are concenred today.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)