Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So, how well does that stuff stay in the pores under adverse conditions. Up until back when Reagan was still in office I worshipped at the alter of filling pores with various magic potions, "sanding slurry", etc. A couple of times caught in pouring rain saw the "fillage" wash right out of the pores- because they weren't sealed in by a barrier-type finish. Other old projects found the pore fillage shrinking over time, creating an effect not unlike the pores never having been filled at all. I swore off such stuff back then and life has been good for 30 years.

The effect you're going for is admirable- I like it. But I would've mixed some epoxy and blackened it and smeared it into those huge pores. Done right it wouldn't involve any more labor/time than has been spent on this technique, would look the same, and would never wash out or shrink.

I learned this technique from Dave Westbrook. He is a professional stock maker and a published auther on this subject. He gives very detailed instructions on how to do it and I've basically mirrored his technique on this thread. Duane Weibe also uses a similar method but omits the bone black.

Over the last 12 years I have probably done 10+ stocks using this method and have NEVER experienced any trouble with it whatsoever. It's good enough for the professionals and works really well for me.

One thing to keep in mind is WATCO TEAK OIL isn't really oil. It's a modified urethane product that looks and works like oil. It's rated for outdoor use and offers excellent UV protection. When finished the stock will be completely sealed and will offer the same protection as a straight urethane finish. IMO, I like this method much better and think it's more durable than the sanded slurry techniques.

As for putting epoxy on the exterior of a stock, well go for it if that's what you like. I've done that before and didn't like the final results. I have no idea how you figured my time to apply the filler but can assure you that you've figured it wrong. With that said, my method isn't about speed, If I was worried about that I would go to Home Depot and buy a can of Min-Wax wonder product, spray it on and call it good. What I'm after here is a hand rubbed finish.

Like I said in the very first post on this thread. There are a thousand ways to finish a stock. This is mine and I'm sharing it with others. I know it works as I've done it many times before. I'm not knocking anyone's method and would appreciate the same consideration.

Terry