Originally Posted by shootem
Joe beat me to the first question but I have a couple more. What stock pattern did you use on the 1640 .270? It appears to have a bit of drop at the heel, but am I correct in assuming it still works with a low ring scope mount? It looks similar but a bit higher than the Stuart Edward White style I've been eyeing on Walnut Grove Gunstocks website. Thx

On page 1, do you remember seeing that red BRNO 21H I posted? That is the exact stock I used to pattern the 1640. When I bought that rifle the toe of the buttstock came in a seperate package grin

It had a crack in the back tang and had all the corners sanded round by someone who owned it before me. I fixed the bad spots but it still wasn't right. I had the little BRNO restocked and decided to use the original stock as a pattern.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

James Anderson turned it for me.

Yes, the stock has a lot of drop to it but for me it works great in the field. Not so much locked down on a bench but for field shooting positions I really like it.

I'm having a G33/40 built right now and plan on using another 21H as a pattern for it. On the next one I'm going to cut it at the wrist and remove about 1/2 the drop. I'm also going to turn it into a mannlicher with a mid-length forearm schnable.