Originally Posted by Phil09
Thanks again Terry for the great tutorial!

A couple of questions on how to deal with the checkering.

1) Any special treatment during the whiskering phase? Do you just sand up to the edge of the checkering?
2) Is it an issue to have the finish build up in the checkered areas when first applying the oil and during the hand rubbing part?

Thanks,
Phil

On the whiskering I just sand up to the checking. There might be a better way to handle this but whiskers in the checkering has never been a problem for me.

When applying the finish I alway's start away from the checkering and work up to it when rubbing the finish in. By the time I reach the checking there is so little "loose" finish that build up isn't a problem. As far as the checkering goes. I brush on 2 sealer coats, then brush in the 1st finish coat and wipe out the excess. For the remaining coats I work up to checkering then wipe it with a lot of pressure with the palm of my hand when I reach the checkering. There is very little oil going across the stock when I reach the checkering and build up isn't a problem.

When you are rubbing the finish in after about 3-4 coats you aren't using anymore than about 4 maybe 5 drops of finish per coat anyway. Build up isn't a problem.

Last edited by TC1; 02/21/15.