OK, it's morning now and I'm about to seal the stock. Before I do I figure it's time for a word about finishes.

ALL FINISHES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAILLY.

There are some very distinct differences in them. Some work better than others. Some offer better protection than others, some highlight the wood color and contrast better and some offer a prettier finish than others. I've used some that offer a very neutral finish, Spar varnish being a good example. Some will darken the wood, Danish Oil being a very good example. Unfortunately some will give a muddy appearance.

Below is a picture borrowed from Adam Freeman at Luxus Walnut that gives a pretty good illustration of what I'm talking about as far as finish goes. 5 different finishes on the same piece of walnut and the difference is striking. Decide what you are after and choose wisely.
[Linked Image]

I'm a big fan of Watco Teak Oil which as stated earlier isn't really oil at all. It looks like oil and acts like oil but is really a urethane product that offers a strong long lasting finish. A lot of people like Daley's Teak Oil too but I can get the Watco locally so I use it. It's my choice but there are other good products that are equally as good.

You can use a 100% real oil finish too but I don't. While it does make for a very pretty finish it's not very durable and can literally wash off in bad weather. There are a lot of "oils" on the market that aren't really oils at all as mentioned above. Do a little research and you'll find them. I personally think Tru-Oil is one of the nicest looking finishes out there when done properly but for me it's hard to work with and isn't as durable as some of the other finishes I've tried.

When shopping for a finish make sure it's rated for outdoor use and offers UV protection. Shop hard and choose wisely.

Terry