Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd harder to realize how easy it is to kill an animal, than actually kill an animal.

Killin' critters ain't hard. Just stop the flow of blood/oxygen to the brain and sooner or later they die.

now finding them after you kill 'em can be a challenge if they ain't DRT.

For example,

There is a spin-cast feeder under the black dot in the foreground in front of the rifle barrel. Range is 276 yds. Got an opening about 20' to 25' across. At dark, if you can't find a blood trail within 10' to 20' of the POI, chances are you ain't going back to camp with meat.

[Linked Image]

here is a closer view, with a dead hoglet adjacent the feeder.

[Linked Image]

It was about to come a frog-choker and I was losing light fast. Good size bore comes in. He is skittish. I knew he would not stay long. Sure enough about 10 seconds after he makes his appearance he decides to head back in the brush so I had to make a quick shot. I like shooting hogs about 2" below the ear on a line between the ear and shoulder. This severs their spine and they drop and paddle. Dead, but don't know it yet.
Well he was walkin' and from the time my brain sez "squeeze" and my finger does, then the bullet travels the 280 yds, I hit about 6" back. Well a 200 gr. Nosler Ballistic silvertip at a MV of +/- 3,150 packs a pretty good wallop. At that range you can hear the "whop". I immediately jack a new round into the chamber and get back on target. Sure enough the bullet flipped him but he's struggling to get back to his feet. So I pop him again aiming at his withers. This puts him down for good.

[Linked Image]

He's a fair hoglet. Once again, not a white-tail, but evidence of why I like bullets of larger diameter and weight than the typical 6mm.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/03/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.