10/4 guys,

I don't think I've shot a turk with a shotgun since 2001. I do like going full "Alvin York" on them. Spring-time is the most fun as they are much more vocal and lookin' for luv' in all the wrong places. I've been hunting the lease I'm on now for about 12 years now. I'm there quite a bit and have come to know the areas they frequent. I'll cruise around on my 4-wheeler and stop every couple hundred yards and try various calls. Rather than try to call them in I will put a sneak on them, cutting, clucking or whatever seeems to get the most response. What's fun is to use the Riihimaki with the 45 gr. triple shocks. Its pretty much good to 200 yds. Catch a bunch together and they never new what hit them.

As to poppin' them in the noggin, well, I guess you could say I'm an 80%er. I'm not a good enough shot to do that at ranges over 100yds. My favorite shot is to aim for their "craw", or just above the junction of the neck and breast.

[Linked Image]

It's a high percentage shot, and if you do it right, you don't waste any meat.

[Linked Image]

definitely don't want to waste any wild turkey. LOL

If your elevated and they are walking away its a good shot and if they're facing you with their head up, likewise. Like porkers, it seems their heads are never in the same place long.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/05/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.