I guess it depends on what you are doing with it:

I do a lot of my practice sessions with a .223 and 69gn to 77gn bullets. I shoot a lot of alts at 200-300yds with 69gn and will use the 77gn to shoot to around 600yds. I've even used them to shoot DMR matches to 600yds and may use one in the new 3GN Long Range match next month using 75gn or 77gn since targets only go to 750yds.

When it comes to LR matches I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140-142gn bullets and recoil is light; when I use a break it is next to non-existent. Honestly, I don't find a .308 Win with 175gn to 190gn bullets objectionable and with a can/break it is also very mild. The 6.5 is faster, flatter, and gives up less drift with less recoil. It's hard to argue against it.

For deer hunting I tend to use a 7mm Rem Mag with 168gn to 180gn bullets. I would use a 6.5 Creed or .308 Win for deer but my rifles are significantly heavier than my 7mm so I don't tote them on hunts.

I only offered the 4 chamberings because I don't shoot anything crazy anymore. I don't do wildcats that can't shoot something store bought if I get in a jam. The .243 Win is awesome but you can't buy LR ammo for it except through custom companies so that eliminates it for me. The BRX, XC, etc are handload propositions.