Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
.If your so stuck on the old model 70 open style trigger im sure you can still buy one and install it on a brand new model 70 thats made today and have the best of both worlds..........Hb
Oh, no, you can't... They're NOT interchangeable.. BACO made sure of THAT..

how about a nice new Timney trigger? I bet its enclosed though so i guess that would be out of consideration too..........Hb
Check around - and you'll find a lot of Timney owners that are unhappy with theirs after a period of time..

Think about something for a minute.. Nearly everybody considers Mausers to be an exceptional rifle in design and function. In fact, many rifle makers have basically copied that design - and the NH Winchesters were one of 'em.

Note the design of the Mauser trigger. Is THAT enclosed?

Here's the blowup:

[Linked Image]

See how simple that is? Simple function, very few parts, easy to clean, easy to service/or fix in the field, strong & reliable.

The NH M70 was designed with the same idea in mind.. Simple, easy to adjust, user-friendly, AND reliable. Compare that to Remington which has more trigger recalls than Carter has liver pills - not to mention the lawsuits involved.. Now, if the owners of rifles with enclosed triggers were as careful, fussy and maintenance-minded as you and I (and the majority of shooters on this site) there won't be much trouble.. I can't speak for you, but when I'm done with a rifle at the end of the day I usually take it out of the stock, check/inspect/lube (if necessary) and put it back in the stock for a final wipe-down of exterior surfaces.

But 75% ++ of owners of those same firearms usually don't remove 'em from the stocks more than once/twice in their lifetimes..not to mention doing a rudimentary cleaning. Guess which system's gonna fail first?

See what I mean? smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!