It's just a different time Harry.

I'll use Ruger as an example. They're no longer privately owned. The executives answer to a board of directors. Profit is King in the eyes of a shareholder. Even though few manufacturers will state it, quality isn't their top priority. Reducing costs and increasing margins are their ultimate goals.

The American Rifle is affordable and almost disposable. That's the new normal with the younger generation. Vehicles, furniture and even some new homes are no longer made to last a lifetime. There is no pride of ownership. They expect to buy another one in the near future.

When I was in Wyoming with Ruger this past summer, we were accompanied by several engineers. We all talked product and design. Lots of ideas were put on the table. One of the things I immediately noticed -- the engineers were young. I felt like an old man and I'm only 45!

The new budget rifles are as accurate, maybe more so, than the "nicer" rifles that have been around for a while. They may not last as long, but it's all about instant gratification.

I still like nice rifles and you still like nice rifles, but I assure you we're the minority. And as bad as I hate to say it, we're not their target market.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!