Originally Posted by battue
Then why don't the young people of today want a quality rifle?

Bob may be right in that the majority today's hunters, for the most part, don't hunt all that hard physically, but do their hunting mainly out of stands. Yet it seems as if many of the hard core hunters that post here are willing to buy quality.

Back in the day, good rifles were not cheap. A Model 70 based on current dollars cost at least as much as today and maybe more.

Have small groups from Bic rifles taken the place of the desire for a good rifle that has proven itself over time? As if a 0.25in smaller group is going to save a hunt.

Have places like the fire, with its many nitpicking threads on this caliber vs another birthed a new generation that is willing to be satisfied with a throwaway rifle? It works for now, I'll want something else tomorrow. So what if it is only worth $50. 20years down the road?

I don't see it as a disposable income issue. At least not all that much from what I see here. Many go thru them like buying and trying different brands of boots.

Interesting change in values from back in the day.

Good is good, I'm personally not all that concerned with where it is made.

Not just young people...and it is very simple, a lack of knowledge and an unwillingness to save and scrounge for a protracted period of time.

AKA..."I WANT IT NOW...WAHHH!"

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.