Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
The dam isn't leaking...it isn't that I have "faith in the integrity of the whole show", because this pic shows they were well aware of the damage a LONG time ago...the thing is, this was caused by the operators of the dam...they never needed to slow the releases from the main spillway...they chose instead to let the lake rise to the EMERGENCY spillway and it probably over stressed its design capabilities....notice how quickly they've lowered the level???

[Linked Image]

MM, I believe you are mistaken... Read this!

The initial damage to the spillway occurred Tuesday, about 3,000 feet downstream from where water enters from the lake. The water flowing out of the hole quickly turned brown with mud as it consumed trees and soil before rejoining the main channel below in a massive confluence wave that sent up clouds of mist in the tree-lined canyon.

The lake was rising at a half-foot per hour Thursday as the inflow peaked at 121,000 cubic feet per second, officials said at a news conference about a mile from the spillway. They were releasing water at about 40,000 cubic feet per second.

That’s not enough to keep the lake from continuing to rise, officials said, but is expected to keep them from having to use a nearby emergency spillway that has never been used since the dam was dedicated in 1968.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oroville-dam-emergency-spillway-california-runoff/

Well, they were wrong and had to use the emergency spillway. Now the emergency spillway has failed and they are forced to close it to prevent possible flooding. That is why the evacuation is in order.

They have decided to open the main spillway and let the damage there continue. But opening the main spillway has lowered the water level and saved the emergency dam/spillway, for now.

At least that is my understanding.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21