Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Steve
Main spillway. Couple of days ago v. today.

[Linked Image]

It's abundantly clear that the failure began at a seam in the concrete, where I would bet anything that the seal had been lost and water intrusion has been allowing the rebar to rust.

Years ago, I was involved in a whistleblower event regarding a bridge that was on the verge of collapsing. My voiced concern was blown off by the controlling authority initially, with explanation that fractures in concrete were not a problem unless rebar was rusting - and rusting rebar would have to be evidenced by rust stains streaking the concrete. My follow-up photos showing the rust streaks, along with threat to go public when the bridge fails, drew immediate and dramatic positive response.

Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

[Linked Image]

I'd bet that the photo posted above from 2013 shows when crews were out there looking at rust stains. Makes me wonder what else might not have been reported or dealt with.

Looks like it may have failed from undermining. Percolation from the earthen dam created voids under the slabs.

Did you see the some of the faulting lines in the over thrust in the formation immediately below that hole ?
Percolation dittos, with a probable grout curtain problem contiguous.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain