Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by irfubar
Crossfire,

I have read they had to shut the flow off through the turbines because the debris and flow down the main spillway has reversed the the flow in the river below the dam and the generators will be damaged because the water cant flow out?

Not sure if this is true and I have no knowledge about such things, just passing on what I read.

This is Higbeans back yard maybe he has more and better info?

That doesn't seem to make sense. The water going into the turbines comes in far below the level of the spillway, and IIRC the intake is screened. If they've had to shut down the turbines, there must be something else to it.

It's been several decades since I toured the interior of the facility and can't remember - isn't there a bypass?

I read the same thing; elevated river levels compromising the discharge flow from the plant.

Well, this is starting to make some sense,....

A.) The backwash / reverse flow / elevated river level from the main spillway hydraulically stalling the turbines ( the discharges of which are not screened ?)
B.) Mandatory use of failing main spillway now dictated by bogus emergency / auxiliary spillway's incipient failure ...
C.) If the weirs feeding the main SW won't handle lake's recharge rate, the emergency / auxiliary SW WILL run ......

....so all this media gas about how the "Manager" were "Controlling" the flows was nothing but more hype,.....

Sounds from here as though Ma nature's taken control of this mess.

All you folks out there have my prayers.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain