Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Assuming you mean "inexperienced" then Elmer Keith, whom you quote, argued sectional density...and yet I can't see anyone at all saying he was not experienced.

Elmer Keith never really"got" that bullet construction often matters more than sectional density. An excellent example of this is in his book Safari, about his first African trip in 1958. As his "light" rifle he brought a .333 OKH, with 300-grain Kynoch softs and solids, at around 2400 fps.

He evidently didn't test either before the trip, because the softs consistently came apart, sometimes failing to exit Thompson's gazelles, about the size of big coyotes. So he switched to the round-nosed solids--which do NOT kill very well, especially in smaller diameters--and .333 with solids is a smaller diameter. He lung-shot a zebra stallion with one, which went half a mile before it finally started to slow down, and could be shot some more so finally died. (From this he deduced that "all African game is as tough as an old gum boot," which I have concluded is part of the "origin myth" about the toughness of even plains game.)

He would have been much better off with a .30-06 and 180 Partitions, which had already been around for a decade. And I know John Nosler would have supplied some, because he'd already supplied plenty to Keith--who wrote elsewhere that the 250-grain .338 Partition should have weighed 300 grains.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck