Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Elmer Keith was spot-on about the versatility of the .33 caliber cartridges for all of Alaska. To this day, I don't think a hunter could do any better.

Here are a few examples:

Scores of high BC 225 grain grain premium bullets to choose from. Whereas the 30 calibers have limited options in the 220 grain territory and are generally potato-shaped. They also don't expand very wide, not like the .338 225 grain offerings.

I stay at 200 grain bullets in my 30 caliber rifles, and more specifically, the oryx.

So where the 30 caliber cartridges end, the .338's are just getting warmed up.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, the .338 275 grain swift A-frame is a deep penetrating, wide expanding .338 bullet that hangs right along side the 300 grain Swifts and 325 grain oryx bullets in my 9.3x62.

My .338, the scope is sighted to 225 grain interbonds or 225 grain fusions. Both match up well to a ballistic reticle to 500 yds. Then the open sights are always sighted to a 275 grain a-frame handload. In a light rifle, they are at the limit of manageable recoil where a shooter can have a meaningful shooting session at extended range.

In treeless winter caribou hunting where the bag limits offer multiple caribou for rural Alaskan residents, the .338's with high bc 225 grain bullets, is an ideal choice. We're talking constant 20-30 mph gusts, and ranges of 300-400 yds are common. Though I've used my 9.3x62 in these conditions, I would've much preferred the 338-06.

The lone 250 grain 9.3 accubond never worked out: 4.5" groups from 2 of my 9.3x62 Mauser rifles. Greg(north61) got bad groups with the 250 accubond as well. Then, they're never in stock, probably discontinued.

Anyhow, here is a 225 grain fusion next to a 30 caliber 220 grain partition. It penetrated within 1/4" of the partition in spruce boards. Had massive expansion, and superb weight retention. With groups always well under an inch, a true sleeper of a bullet @ $18 a box of 50:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The 250gr Nosler AccuBond is far and away the MOST accurate of any 9.3 handloaded projectile fired in my Tikka T3 Lite at 0.44" for three at 100 yds. And it was repeatable. It also terminated a nice black bear at 85 yds from a single shot leaving the muzzle at ~2700 fps.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus