Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The conversation about the need for this cartridge or this vs a 338 Magnum leaves the rifle out of the discussion. The package is what makes this attractive. It's a mountain hunting setup. For me what makes this attractive is the ability to load it down to 338 Federal velocities for everyday use, and have backup heavy loads for longer shots or larger game in my pack or pocket. I'll less frequently need a 338 RPM per se than I will a 338 Federal proxy so I'll use it as a 338 Federal primarily.

Just a curiosity at this point, but the 338 RPM brass cycles perfectly through a Kimber 84L Classic Select currently barreled in 25-06. Might explore a rebarrel if the RPM turns out to be a winner.
Will a .338 barrel result in the Kimber being too muzzle heavy? A reduced load in a 338 RPM might result in the need to adjust for both windage and elevation when switching loads in the field. Plus, you often won't have time in the field to switch loads when you see an animal, should you have full-power loads and prefer light loads or visa-versa. I'd just use the one load and get used to that one load. Grab something like a .270 in more open areas or .308 with 150's in tighter country for lighter game.

If you use a lighter bullet in .338 than you would for larger game at longer ranges, it may be possible to adjust powders and velocities so they have the same basic trajectory with less recoil. I have two goto loads for my .35 Whelen that I carry in the stock cartridge holder. They hit at the same POI at 100. My all-around hunting load is a 225 AB at 2840 fps, and a special bear load for close range over bait is the 300gr Barnes Original at 2355 fps without any changes to scope setting. Obviously, the 225gr is much flatter shooting beyond 100 yds than the "slow moving" 300gr. Different powders are used. I just published the results on yesterday's blog.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus