Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by CRS
Yes, the percentage increase is going to differ between diameter and frontal area.

Put the majority of hunting bullets, at normal velocities, in the right place and you will have the same result. A full freezer. No matter the diameter, within reason of course.

I like my 338-06's, but must admit that I shoot the majority of my stuff with a 270. Gasp! another 0.03" smaller in diameter vs a 308, or 0.06" smaller than a 338!
wink grin laugh crazy smirk cool
Yes, run a .270 for deer sized game and a .338 for anything bigger than deer sized game stopping at when you use a .458 for heavy dangerous game

Just to be a contrarian, what's the difference to the hunter between "heavy dangerous game" and just "dangerous game" if one is an elaphant and the other a brown bear or lion? For example: On safari, would a hunter be compelled to change weapons if both ele and lion were on his agenda? He might choose to carry two rifles, but does he need to? In Alaska, a solo resident hunter may have several licenses in brown bear country: Would a majority be toting a .270 or something bigger... how much "bigger" to make a difference?

Bob
www.bigbore.ca
Heavy dangerous game in Africa are elephant, rhino, buffalo, hippo. In other places you would probably include any of the bovine species if they were huntable such as gaur, banteng, other buffalo, feral bulls etc. Dangerous game would include (if they were huntable) tiger, jaguar, lion leopard, crocodile, brown/grizzly/polar bears, not sure about gator, not sure about cougar. Now if I could hunt gaur in the jungles of Cambodia, that would be the ultimate for me.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/13/23.