I had my Mark V ULWT 338/06 reamed to the Ackley. When the smith turned the barrel back one turn to clean up the chamber, it also shortened my Rifling Lead. I wasn't quite able to safely get the same speeds as I did when it was a long throated A-Square, ha. The more I looked at the 338 RPM, the more I wanted one! ha But the barrel shank on the Mark V was "iffy" to turn back the .301" it would take for the RPM Reamer (comes with the Weatherby freebore pilot) to clean up the neck of the Ackley. For some reason the RPM's is a tad narrower than the Ackley's. Hmmmm. I was going to settle for my Ackley version when I found a Weatherby 338/06 a-Square barrel on Ebay. $90! Well hey then, we unscrew the Ackley (and hang onto it) then ream the new 338/06 chamber with the RPM Reamer and put the Mark V's radial brake from the other barrel on it...Presto! I have a light, handy, thumper that takes factory ammo ( a small plus) and can be handloaded warm or mild depending upon how I feel, or my shoulder feels, or my neck, hey I'm all bolted together anyhow, I hurt "anyhow" I may as well enjoy my life and rifle Loonyism!, lol. I will report back in a few weeks about the results. Hot dog, getting jazzed again! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/14/24.