Originally Posted by GRF
I’ll play.

I shoot a good deal of jugs and steel plate at distances from 200 to 450 yards throughout the spring to early fall.

Distance on game with a particular rifle is limited to the ranges where I was 100% successful during the final weeks of practice. Meaning I hit the jug or the painted circle on the plate first time and every time.

Reality of course is more challenging than practice, so I am accepting a less than 100% chance of success, but I am shooting under conditions where I have assessed my equipment and skill sets as being up to the task.

My methodology is similar.

What's missing form the OPs question are the environmentals/conditions. Benchrest accuracy of the rifle/ammo at a known distance is just one factor.

I do quite a bit of practicing from field positions, as my backyard range goes out to 760yds, with 545 yds off my back deck.

The conditions, wind etc. and the type of rest/stability have a much great impact on my hit probabilities than the actual accuracy of my rifle/ammo combination. When it comes to rest, this image which was designed to help guys choose the appropriate TGT size in conjunction with support and distance, does a pretty decent job describing the relationship of stability to accuracy:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's designed for rimfires, but you can see the relationship.

In my case accuracy degrades as stability degrades, and the closer I am to the ground the more stable I am. I'm better prone with front and rear support, than I am just prone. Sitting; I'm better off a tripod than I am just off my backpack. Sitting with a tripod, clamped in with my backpack in my lap as an elbow rest almost rivals prone, etc. etc.

I like to be at least 90% sure of my shot, based on the conditions, which include my rest. So based on my rest and the conditions I might be confident out to 600yds, change up the wind, make it variable, add a less than ideal rest and I might be confident to 300yds with the same rifle ammo combo.

The only way to know is to practice.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”