Originally Posted by Pinnah
Suppose your scope could calculate and display your hit likelihood in the vitals of a deer based on distance and the accuracy of your gun/ammo system.

What would you consider to be a minimum hit likelihood?

100% (always make the shot)
90% (9 out of 10 hits)
75% (3 out of 4)
67% (2 out of 3)
50% (1 out 2)

It's irrelevant. First off, I came of age deer hunting on Planet 4 MOA with a smoothbore shotgun. Maybe other guys were shooting at 300 yards, but I played it safe and normally hunted out of my bow stands. I think my longest shot on a deer with a shotgun was 20 yards, and when I switched to rifle, it was about the same. I only started pulling the trigger at longer ranges fairly late in my hunting career. Until 20 years ago, my longest shot was about 80 yards. My longest shot to date is 200 yards, taken in 2022. Whenever I pulled the trigger, I was dead-nuts certain I was hitting the boiler room. I've been proved wrong by deflections, but not from improper aim.

Growing up on Planet 4 MOA, I learned the worst thing is to shoot above your weight. Goat rodeos are grueling. It is far better to wait for a stupid gimme shot than it is to go flinging lead and then spend the rest of the morning looking for a spot of blood.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer