Originally Posted by GRF
Funny story on the cold bore one shot scenario, I’m at the range this October, amongst other toys were the two rifles on deck for the November hunting season.

Both (.270 Win and 6.5 PRC) rifles had been thoroughly rung out as recently as September so I figured punch one round at 100 yards as a final check. Both printed exactly where I had expected so I put them away and my son and I kept playing with the other toys on hand.

During the next ceasefire a gentleman came up and asked “did you just fire one shot groups?” I replied in the affirmative and explained the guns had been thoroughly rung out a few weeks before and the one shot “groups” were just a final check.

“But they were only one shot groups?!?” With a mildly confused look upon his face. I restated my rational once more to hear “But they were only one shot groups?!?!” With an increasingly confused look on his face.

“Yes” says I and put on my ear pro as the terminus to the conversation and the dude walks away shaking his head. 😃😃

You had already proven precision to your satisfaction with groups. You just wanted to confirm the first shot would land where the crosshairs said it should. Makes perfect sense to me. I have my grandfather's old Remington 740 30-06. It doesn't group very well by today's standards but it puts that first shot where it needs to go. It fires one shot and something dies, so it still gets the job done.