Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Pinnah
Originally Posted by MikeL2
One of the last ways I want to fug up a recreational sport is with probabilities statistics.

Are you ok with fugging up a buck with a low probability shot? I suspect not.

Even just spitballing a number, what level of confidence do you expect from your gun/ammo when you pull the trigger? 95%, 50%? Or is it just let 'er rip?

No protein goes to waste in the wild, that circle of life thing. So if you wound an animal and don't recover it, when dies it feeds other animals and whatever is left fertilizes the ground.

I don't advocate squeezing the trigger unless the shooter has a high degree of confidence that his/her first shot will be fatal, but not everyone feels the same way. I'd like to see all hunters practice enough to improve their shooting skills, but I know that a lot of hunters shoot less than 20 rounds of ammo per year from their primary hunting rifle.
And I know of several that can make a box of 20 rounds last several years.

I recall seeing a Federal print ad from the 1970s or 1980s that featured 2 brothers/ranchers who shared one rifle and one box of Federal ammo, telling how many elk that they have killed with that one rifle and one box of ammo over several years. I thought that since Federal was in the business of selling ammo, those guys weren't contributing much to the success of the company if they made one box of ammo last for several years.