Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by GRF
I’ll play.

I shoot a good deal of jugs and steel plate at distances from 200 to 450 yards throughout the spring to early fall.

Distance on game with a particular rifle is limited to the ranges where I was 100% successful during the final weeks of practice. Meaning I hit the jug or the painted circle on the plate first time and every time.

Reality of course is more challenging than practice, so I am accepting a less than 100% chance of success, but I am shooting under conditions where I have assessed my equipment and skill sets as being up to the task.

GRF;
Top of the morning, BC time its still technically morning, regardless I trust you and your fine family are well.

Once more I find myself agreeing with your methodology sir.

Since you and I have both met and conversed a number of times, I'll leave it to your good discretion as to the amount that should concern you. wink

Speaking of shooting milk jugs and plates, this video showed up in my feed this morning and whether or not one likes the channel, I thought there were lessons to be learned from it.

Dwayne

I guess I have a new goal in life. Dirty Harry says, "a man's got to know his limitations." That's one Marine who clearly didn't know his limitations or do himself any favors. Busting his forehead open while checking his zero should have been a clue that he wasn't prepared. And I have no doubt that doing that would have [bleep] with my confidence. Some people are confident only because they don't have a [bleep] clue what they are doing. I know someone who won a Bronze Star for running across a mine field to bring his squad more ammo. The person who wrote the award left out the fact that the Naval Academy graduate in question was cluelessly unaware that it was a mine field.

Then again, as I said elsewhere, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I'm proud of the fact that every time I went on the range, I always shot a possible at the 300-rapid fire. But by no means would I expect that to translate to perfection at unknown distances over a span of 100 shots between 100 and 600 yards. That's a challenge that is as hard as it sounds. I've known plenty of HOGs who wouldn't do that successfully. Just firing 100 high-powered rifle rounds (for me, almost anything over 5.56 would be "high-powered") in one sitting would be something novel to me. I don't think I have ever fired more than a box of .257 Roberts/.25-06/.270/.30-06/8mm/etc. in a given day. And practicing the effects of that kind of volume on my shooting would be the first thing I did before I took up such a challenge.